Both the Handler and Animal must possess the skills and knowledge required to visit people in a wide range of settings. They must work as a team at all times and inspire confidence in the people with whom they are visiting.
Handlers must be:
- Confident and natural in their interactions with people and animals
- Proactively in control of their animal at all times
- Actively engaged in interactions with people and accepting and forgiving of differences in people’s reactions and behavior
Animals must be:
- Reliable, predictable, and directable
- Friendly and confident
- Interested in visiting strangers
- Respectful of personal boundaries
- Able to initiate contact, stay engaged, make eye contact, and allow their behaviors to be redirected
Things You Should Know
Please review the following materials to help determine if you and your animal are a good fit for the program.